Kindergarten Orientation - Slide Presentation
For the 2022-23 school year
Below is information that was shared in a slide presentation during the spring 2022 kindergarten orientation. We are eager to see our new students and families when the 2022-23 school year begins.
Printable version: Wakefield-Forest-Kindergarten-Orientation-PowerPoint.pdf
- Sharyn Prindle, Principal
- Amy Williams, Assistant Principal
A Typical Day in Kindergarten
- Arrival/Morning Work
- Morning Meeting
- Language Arts
- Word Study
- Reading Workshop
- Writing Workshop
- Quiet Time
- Science/Social Studies/Health
Integrated into the instructional day
- Creates classroom calmness
- Helps students manage stress
- Helps students learn to focus their attention
- Resources include MindUP curriculum & GoNoodle Flow
Innovation Hour K-4
Every Friday afternoon is a time for students to work creatively and cooperatively in areas in which they are passionate. www.fox5dc.com/video/1045623
Positivity Project is our character education program. Students are taught about 24 character strengths that are connected to positive psychology research.
Promotes active participation and creative expression through:
- Rhythm Patterns Using Instruments
- Movement/Rhythmic Activities
Physical Education (P.E.)
Fosters physical development in areas of:
- Movement skills and patterns
- Fitness and nutrition education
- Sport skills, balance, gymnastics, space awareness, and rhythm/dance
Promotes self-expression, creativity, and exploration through:
- Art media: paint, clay, paper, printing, glue, etc.
- Artistic tools: brushes, scissors, crayons, stamps, etc.
- Kindergarten students visit the library once per week for 30 minutes
- Students hear a story, participate in a brief lesson, and check out a book
Science Technology Engineering Art Math (STEAM)
All students at WFES participate in STEAM Lab every week, where we practice collaboration and problem solving through activities like:
- Building with Keva planks
- Making models of ant habitats
- Using our five senses to ask questions and gather information
- Playing strategy games
- Learning to code
Wakefield Forest ES has a laptop for each student. Next year we anticipate having iPads for kindergarteners.
- ST Math
- Learn 360
- Pebble Go
- Google Classroom
- During the school day, all entrances to the building are locked.
- Visitors must bring driver’s license and be screened.
- Practice Drills
- Fire Drills
- Tornado Drill
- Lockdown Drill (Active Shooter Practice)
- Students Rights & Responsibilities - Outlines the rules and policies in effect for students K-12.
- Talk about stories and play with rhymes
- Practice zipping, buttoning and tying clothing
- Provide opportunities for cutting with scissors, writing, drawing and painting
- Incorporate counting in everyday activities
- Help your child be responsible for cleaning up their area
- Provide opportunities to make simple choices
- Practice opening food packages and containers
- Practice wearing a mask for long periods of time
Children learn best through play. “Games can exercise children’s executive function and self-regulation skills—and allow them to practice these skills—in different ways.” (Center on the Developing Child, Harvard)
- Imaginary play
- Story telling
- Movement challenges
- Quiet games
- Card games and board games - knowing how to win and lose
- Physical activities
- Movement/song games
- Strategy games
For 3 to 5 year olds:
For 5 to 7 year olds:
Mental Health Team
- Social Worker
- FCPS Program of Studies (POS) https://insys.fcps.edu/PublicPOS/#/reportPanel/K/0
- VA Standards of Learning (SOL) http://www.doe.virginia.gov/
- Students living more than one mile from the school will be assigned to a school bus. Kindergarteners must be met at the bus stop by someone in 7th grade or older.
- Bus information is typically available a week prior to the first day of school.
- Families can also choose Kiss and Ride or to walk.
- There are also some outside providers, such as Andrew Gause and the JCC who sometimes provide transportation as a part of after school care.
Our PTA partners with the school to organize fun activities and run fundraisers to supplement the school’s budget.
It's never too soon to show your WFES Wolf Pride! You can order Spirit Wear for your Kindergartner or the entire
family from our new online store: https://wakefieldforestes.memberhub.store/ . After you place your order, please email Melissa Fabrizio at [email protected] to arrange for pick-up.
Parents and teachers play an active role in children's education… together, we help them reach their fullest potential.