2021-2022 ESSER III/School Innovation & Improvement Plan
An at-a-glance look at outcome goals for this academic school year
Complete ESSER School Funding Plans
ESSER III/School Innovation & Improvement Plan
Wakefield Forest Elementary School
Sharyn Prindle, Principal
ESSER III Strategies
The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) is a federal grant which requires that spending be used in specific areas. Part of the Fairfax County Public Schools spending plan identifies funding to be used for Unfinished Learning and Student Academic and Social, Emotional, Mental Health (Wellness) Needs. Schools have been given funding allocations to support the academic and wellness needs of students. Schools are required to create plans in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Wellness highlighting the strategies they will use to support these areas using their ESSER III funding. These strategies are shown below.
ESSER III English Language Arts Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in English Language Arts.
- Strategy 1 - Small group instruction tier 1 using phonics, balanced literacy, and Guided Reading practices will be used by classroom teachers to target areas of weakness in literacy during core ELA instructional block.
- Strategy 2 - Small group instruction (Tier 2/3) using FUNdations, Orton Gillingham and Guided Reading practices to target weaknesses in literacy during and after school.
- Strategy 3 - Provide Tier 1 Instruction using Lexia.
ESSER III Mathematics Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students are making sufficient progress to be on grade level in Mathematics
- Strategy 1 - Tier 1 reteaching ST Math resource for staff members to use as Tier 2/3 small group intervention.
- Strategy 2 - Small Group Instruction (Tier 2/3) using Do The Math and Building Fact Fluency.
ESSER III Wellness Strategies
Outcome: Ensure students feel safe, included, and supported in the school environment.
- Strategy 1 - Teachers will incorporate evidenced-based strategies within daily instruction to promote positive social/emotional growth in students across the school (Tier 1).
- Strategy 2 - Clinical staff will implement Tier 2/3 social/emotional lessons to instruct and model strategies in self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationships, and decision making directed towards individualized student goals (winter and spring)
School Innovation & Improvement Plan Strategies
All Fairfax County schools are also required to complete an access and opportunity goal as part of their School Innovation and Improvement Plan (SIIP) and can also capture additional goals. These are shown below.
Access & Opportunity End of Year SMARTR Outcome
Goal: By June 2022, we will move up one level on the Implementation Rubric for Young Scholars Model continuum in the areas of Committed Professionals and Find/Identify.
- Strategy 1 - Establish a shared knowledge of Young Scholars Model focused on Committed Professionals.
- Strategy 2 - Establish a shared knowledge of Young Scholars Model focused on Find/Identify.
For additional information regarding this School Plan, please contact the Principal Sharyn Prindle.